My name is Denise Shekerjian. I am a writing coach, editor, and a writer. I am also a lawyer and published author of books, literary essays, narrative nonfiction, a blog, and the occasional short story.
As a writer, I specialize in nonfiction and am skilled in the storytelling arts. As a lawyer, I know a thing or two about the art of persuasion.
Need to tell your story? I work with:
- College-bound or graduate students on those all-important essays for admissions. I help you identify your best ideas, show you how to give them shape and voice, and oversee your writing progress from start to finish to make your materials memorable. I also help with cover letters, recommendation requests, resumes, CVs, brief biographies, and statements of purpose.
- Law, medical, and business school applicants on targeted essays that distinguish candidates from the competition.
- Medical school graduates on the personal essay, statement of objectives, summary of research, proof of fit and competency for residency match purposes.
- Fellowship applicants on compelling narratives, a statement of objectives, a summary of research, and proof of fit and competency.
- Transfer students on the identification of objectives and the reasons for the change.
- Memoir writers who have decided it’s now or never! I read your work carefully, take note from the micro to the macro, and issue a detailed written report that lays out an action plan for improvement.
- Creators of all stripes who need artist statements, brief biographies, or monographs. I create the crisp, clean statements you need to present your work—in English, not art speak!
- Seasoned and new writers who have something to say but do not know where to begin or how to proceed.
- Corporate leadership on the story of your feisty start-up or centuries-old enterprise: who you are, why you exist, where you started, and where you are going.
- Wedding couples on the tale of your romance for publication, websites, announcements, and guests.
- I work one-on-one, if you’re local, or by phone or Skype if you are out of state.
- The amount of time I spend with your work depends upon the needs of the material and the help you seek. My clients report that I work efficiently and am very generous with my time and comments.
- I am also available for presentations and more in-depth workshops.
Have a story that needs telling? Shoot me an email and we’ll set up a time to talk. There’s no charge for an initial consultation. I look forward to hearing what’s on your mind!
What Clients Say
~ Adult Services Librarian, 2017
~ Youth Services Librarian, 2017, Bixby Memorial Free Library
“Denise! You have gone above and beyond — thank you. I surely appreciate your assistance.”
~ 4th year Medical Student, Larner College of Medicine, 2017
“In late summer, I finally began writing my memoir The Seventh Child, which has been steeping in me for years. In September, I had around thirty single spaced pages to my credit and the awareness that I needed structure and support. My work life as an educational therapist/ special educator was about to lurch into full speed. With that awareness and my thirty pages, I began looking for someone to offer me that support and structure so I could continue writing throughout the year. This is where Denise Shekerjian steps onto my stage.
What a gift! Denise has not only offered me structure, she has brought me a boatload of inspiration, encouragement and constructive criticism. Denise possesses both the capacity to nourish and the commitment to honest and straightforward criticism where needed. In addition, she has the requisite finesse and delicacy of expression so that the vulnerability of the writer is soothed rather than agitated when reading or listening to her feedback.
Denise has all of these qualities together with a keen intelligence and a quick insight response. Of course, she also has the grammatical and syntactical expertise, a necessary skill set of a developmental editor. Denise has been exceptionally prompt and flexible with her time; she has generously accommodated my exacting schedule. My manuscript has inched its way to ninety pages and has acquired more unity and grace under Denise’s watchful eye. Denise has become an inextricable part of my writing life and should become a part of yours. I cannot recommend her enough! Thank you Denise.
~ JoAnna B. Easton, Fall, 2016
Songwriter Bobby Gosh’s great memoir, Confessions of a Marijuana Eater, Red Barn Press, Spring, 2016.
“I would like to thank . . . Denise Shekerjian for giving me a mini-master class in writing; for her early editing help; and for her encouragement that my story was worth writing about. She was there for me every step of the way. Without her help, this book would not be the book it is.”
~ Bobby Gosh, from the acknowledgments page
Copyright © 2017 Denise Shekerjian, www.soulofaword.com. All rights reserved.
Photo of Denise by Michael Metz. Other photos: Google images.