1. Your brain has turned to gelatin. Your muscles are mush. Fatigue sets in. No energy, no writing.
2. Anything is easier than writing. The ironing. The kids. The vacuum. The correspondence.
3. Email and social media: the Bermuda triangle of time. But there’s the actual social world, too, like coffee shops and lunch dates.
4. Errands. The rain. The rake. The dog. Not now. Later . . .
5. It’s not work. More than a hobby, maybe, but work means you earn a buck, doesn’t it?
6. Besides, you don’t know how. You can’t. You’re afraid. You won’t.
7. No place to write. No quiet. The guy next door plays drums. Can’t think.
8. Real life intrudes. Illness. Disaster. Ambush. A barbarian is at the gate.
9. Also, you’re not in the mood. You need inspiration. You’re waiting for the muse to call.
10. You have unrealistic goals. A mere paragraph at the end of the week and you’re disappointed.
11. There’s more to learn. A changing world, changing industry. Never enough time to absorb, strategize, adapt.
12. You haven’t planned your story, and so, when you’re lost, there you are, going around in circles.
13. The story is too big. You don’t understand it yet. Every time you look, it deepens. It’s a shape shifter. It’s an onion peeling. It’s the goddamn mirror.
14. The story bores you to tears. In fact, you’re crying.
16. You write the easy stuff, or the thing on a deadline, and never get to the other work.
17. You have writer’s block, or more precisely: you aren’t writing, and haven’t yet gone for the cure (read). Or you’ve hit delete so many times, nothing’s left.
18. Or, you don’t really want to finish. You hate to give it up, close the door to the idea of fixing something however tiny but that will bother you pretty much forever.
19. Besides, if you finished, you would miss it.
Did I forget anything? Readers?
But let’s remember: with the exception of number 8—real life throwing you a doozy—there are choices here, or mostly. When are you done?
Comments welcome and edited to include first names only, and website, if provided; never your email. Photo of cat by The Scream; blond aka blondalicious by blog-blond.blogspot.com